Monday, December 20, 2010

Merry-Present Moment Conscious-Christmas!

"Few of us ever live life in the present.  We are forever anticipating what is to come or remembering what has gone." - Louis L'Amour

I saw this quote today on my desk calendar.  I find it very true, particularly this time of year with businesses trying to hit year-end sales goals; holiday parties; Christmas concerts; studying for the end of a school semester; volunteerism and charitable giving campaigns; Christmas decorating; shopping for presents and baking; traveling to see family, etc.

I tend to always be thinking approximately one week out to meet all of my family, writing, and day job obligations.  If I'm not focusing on the to-do list, then I'm brainstorming for my latest story.  As a result, I'm sure I miss a lot.

This week I have made a personal commitment to remember to stop and just be.  Be present with my family and not worry about the fact that the house is a mess.  Sing along with the Christmas music.  Stop and really look at all of the Christmas lights in my neighborhood instead of rushing past them to my next errand.  Eat the Christmas goodies with pleasure instead of guilt.  Give - and completely take in the delight of the person I am giving to.  Stop and thank God for his gift to us and the blessings he has bestowed upon my family.

So if you are like me and normally live in the future (or in your head with your characters), then I wish you a very Merry - and present moment conscious - Christmas.