Thursday, January 27, 2011

Top 5 Romantic Comedies - #3

Number three on my list is a romantic comedy set in the church of baseball.  It's better known and loved as a sports movie than a romantic comedy; however, I love the romance of Bull Durham, the attraction of experience and wisdom over youth and naivete.

Susan Sarandon's character (Annie) picks Nuke (Tim Robbins) as her seasonal lover and student in her pagan church of baseball.  She picks Nuke because he is impressionable. But it is Crash (Kevin Costner) who peaks her curiosity, because he matches her on an intellectual level that Nuke can't.  He knows who he is and what he likes and doesn't like - an appealing quality in any romance story's hero, to my way of thinking.

One of my favorite oft-quoted movie lines was said by Annie:  "The world was made for those who aren't cursed with self-awareness."  (In case you are wondering - I'm cursed.)

Bull Durham is ranked #55 on Bravo's 100 Funniest Movies and #97 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Laughs list.

Here is Crash's "I believe..." speech.  Enjoy :)