Sunday, January 23, 2011

Top 5 Romantic Comedies - #4

"The stars awaken a certain reverence, because
Though always thought present, they are inaccessible;
But all natural objects make a kindred impression,
When the mind is open to their influence."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Though Emerson was talking about the stars, the same can be said of the moon, which influences the characters in the romantic comedy I have chosen as number four.

Wikipedia defines a romantic comedy as "a lighthearted film, with humorous plotlines, centered around romantic ideals like true love."  I would not call Moonstruck a lighthearted film.  Fear, grudges, and deception play a major role in the movie.  The comedy emerges from how the characters react to their emotions and the situation those emotions land them in.

Ronny Cammareri (Nicolas Cage): "Playing it safe is just about the most dangerous thing a woman like you can do.  I mean, you waited for the right man the first time.  Why didn't you wait for the right man again?"
Loretta Castorini (Cher):  "Because he didn't come."
Ronny (Cage):  "I'm here."
Loretta (Cher):  "You're late."

And thus the central plot of the movie.  Loretta is engaged to Ronny's brother, Johnny.  When Ronny tells Loretta that he loves her, Loretta delivers the most famous line from the movie, "Snap out of it!"

There is a yearning in this movie that grabs me every time I watch it.  I love Olympia Dukakis's character, Rose.  My absolute favorite line of the movie is hers, when she is faced with the opportunity to invite a man who is not her husband, into her home.

Rose (Dukakis):  "I'm not going to invite you in.  Not because I'm married, but because I know who I am."

Wow. 

(I'm having so much fun revisiting these movies!!)