Saturday, January 15, 2011

Top 5 Romantic Comedies - #5

Over the past month, I've spend a majority of my time studying for a professional certification exam.  I took it yesterday and passed.  (Yay, me!)  Now is the perfect time to give my fried brain cells a break and watch a feel-good romantic comedy.

I must admit, when I said I would decide on my Top 5 favorite romantic comedies, I was quite naive about how hard it would be to narrow them down.  This was tough.

#5 - When Harry Met Sally

I complained in my initial blog about recent romantic comedies having ho-hum dialogue.  Number five on my list is probably one of the most quoted rom com's on the internet.  Nora Ephron's dialogue is sharp and witty, keeping us entertained as Sally and Harry fumble through their relationship.  Even macho men admit to really liking this movie.  How many romantic comedy films can say that?

When Harry Met Sally raises the debate about whether or not men and women can be friends.  It never really answers the question, leaving us to decide for ourselves.  What it does show; however, is that you CAN be friends and lovers. 

The reason I put this movie in my top five is because of the ending.  True love is about knowing and accepting the good and bad trains of the other person, even the parts of their personality that make you crazy.

Crazy love = good romantic comedy.

"I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out.  I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich.  I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts.  I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes.  And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night."

-Harry Burns, When Harry Met Sally