Monday, February 21, 2011

Connecting Twin Souls

If you look in the dictionary, the definition of soul mates is:  One of two persons compatible with each other in disposition, point of view, or sensitivity. 

BORING.  Here are some more interesting ideas:
  • In Ancient Greece, it was believed that humans originally consisted of four arms, four legs, and a single head made of two faces.  Zeus feared their power and split them in half, condemning them to spend their lives searching for the other half that would make them whole.
  • A soul mate is someone with whom a person has shared other lifetimes through reincarnation, and thus, the instant feeling that you know the other person.
  • Combine the meaning of the words "soul" and "mate" = "a spiritual companion"
  • The one eternal partner made and given by God
Some believe that if you're with your soul mate, things are perfect.  Personally, I don't buy that.  Loving a soul mate can be hard.  As humans, we have a hard time loving and accepting ourselves - so why would we expect smooth sailing when loving the other half of our own soul?

I am married to my soul mate.  Both of us are strong-willed, independent, and hard-headed, which means the seas can get real choppy.  Where he sees black and white, I see gray.  Where he loves to have people around, I tend to be a loner.

So why do I believe he is my soul mate?  Because we share the same fundamental values.  Because I love him unconditionally, and ultimately I believe a soul mate is about unconditional love.

In my novel, Entangled, the concept of soul mates is intrinsically tied to the theme of the story.  One definition of the word entangled is 'correlated, even though physically separated.'  

Jennifer Crusie said in her essay, "The Five Things I've Learned About Writing Romance from TV," that Lesson #1 was "Opposites Attract, Twin Souls Connect."  She uses Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Gilmore Girls as examples.

Popular literary soul mates?  Romeo and Juliet.  Catherine and Heathcliff.  Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy.  Noah and Allie.  Edward and Bella. 

Who are your favorite literary soul mates?  Do you believe in soul mates in real life?