Monday, May 9, 2011

Note to Self: SLOW DOWN

I've had a strange few days. 

On Saturday I watched my nephew graduate from college.  I sat in the auditorium and tried to put myself in the shoes of the parents watching their kids walk across the stage.  I imagined that the emotions ranged from "Thank God!" to "When did my baby get to be so grown up?"

On Sunday I received word that a family member may not live through the week.  He's a husband, father, grandfather, uncle, retired successful businessman, avid outdoorsman, has great dimples and a deep voice I loved to listen to when I was little. 

Both events have impressed upon me how fast time flies, and how I really don't stop and appreciate it enough.  As I've commented before on my blog, I'm usually too obsessed with my to-do list.  I suck at living in the moment.

Which is rather short-sighted of me, considering the only guarantee I have in life is right now.  With a full-time day job, a writing gig, and my family, the demands on my time aren't going to go away.  So my new mantra:  slow down and enjoy right now.

"Doing is never enough if you neglect being." - Eckhart Tolle