Monday, October 10, 2011

Possibilities

Below is a repost of a guest blog I did last March.  Interestingly enough, my husband and I had a similar conversation this weekend.  I was watching the latest episode of Supernatural (my favorite TV show) and he looked across the couch at me and said he had a hard time seeing me get into that show.  Guess that tells you how practical I am in real life... 

Me (holding Netflix DVD in my hand): Do you want to ‘Inception’ with me?
Husband: What’s it about?
Me: It’s about a man who can manipulate people’s dreams.
Husband: No. I don’t want to watch that.
Me: It has action in it.
Husband (shaking his head no): “It’s not real.”

Well of course it isn’t real. That’s why I want to watch it, I think to myself.

I get tired of being in the real world, where everything is predictable; where what science has discovered casts doubt on what hasn’t been discovered; where everything is so boringly normal; and where Newton’s apple will fall to the ground every darn time you drop it.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of science. I avidly read anything about the workings of the brain and quantum mechanics – but both are still fields with limitless potential in terms of what we still have to learn.

Growing up, my favorite books were No Flying in the House, A Wrinkle in Time, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Mists of Avalon… you get the picture. Not real  : )

My son stopped believing in Santa Claus last Christmas. I had to fight back tears when he looked at me on Christmas morning without any trace of that special gleam of excitement and wonder in his eyes, because I knew it was a step across the bridge from the magic of childhood to the practicalities of adulthood.

I love fantasy/paranormal because of the possibilities inherent in it. Every page is a new discovery. People can fly. Other worlds exist. Up is down. Mad Hatter’s hold tea parties, and hobbits, elves, and dwarves can save mankind.

That’s why I like to write paranormal/fantasy – for the possibilities.

Think about it for a minute. How exciting would it be if you dropped an apple – and it fell up? Wouldn’t the rush of amazement be similar to how it felt on Christmas morning when you were a kid? When was the last time you felt that rush of wonder?