Friday, April 13, 2012

How to Get Out of Jury Duty

So...  I was summoned for jury duty this week.  I don't know how many times a citizen should get summoned, but I've been summoned five times since I was in college.  I'm told the computer randomly picks names, but I'm starting to believe it really likes my name.  FIVE times. 

My husband has yet to be summoned. 

Anyway, I showed up to the county courthouse on Tuesday and sat with 250 other people praying that I wouldn't get picked.  The court clerk told us she needed 130 potential jurors and 250 people were sitting in the room.  Yay!  I had a 50/50 shot of getting to go to work.

Guess which 50% I was in?  Yep, the 130.  I was assigned to a court and told to return at 8:30 the next morning for a misdemeanor case.

Now, I had already cleared my schedule at work for Tuesday and moved everything to Wednesday.  So I left the courthouse, went to work and rearranged my schedule AGAIN to clear Wednesday in case I was picked.

I showed up for court on Wednesday and went through the jury selection process.  It took about three hours.  I was one of 20 potential jurors, and they only needed to pick six people.  The odds had improved from Tuesday.

Interestingly enough, while the attorneys asked us if we felt we had problems judging the merits of the case on the facts presented and only on the facts presented for different reasons, I was the only potential juror the defense attorney asked what I did for a living.  (For the record, I am an HR Manager at an insitution of higher education.) 

For some reason, I don't think he liked that.  I was in the lucky majority that got released.  So I drove to work and rearranged my schedule.  Again :)

I found this video online of a humorous way a man replied to his jury summons.  I'm not brave enough to try this tactic, but the announcer does mention an interesting way to get out of jury duty. 



Have you been summoned for jury duty?  Have you ever served on a jury duty?  Would you want to serve on a jury?