Monday, February 11, 2013

Tired Of The Word No?

feeds2.feedburner.com
Do you get tired of the word no? 

I do.  More specifically, I get tired of saying it.  As a mom.  As an HR Professional who knows that you wanting to take a certain action with an employee is Not. A. Good. Idea.

After my oldest was born, I remember a fellow co-worker telling me a joke that we spend the first two years of our kids' lives teaching them to walk and talk and the next sixteen years to sit down and shut up. 

If we all did as we truly wanted, chaos would reign.  We would do what was right for us, right now, instead of what was right for our fellow man.  It'd be like the Wild West again.

Not all the time. I don't believe people are all good or all bad.  Just focused on the self.

But at what point are all of those no's killing our individuality and creativity and freedom?

I don't have the answer to that, but I know I get tired of being the cop.  Maybe society is too structured.  Too rigid.  Too legislated.

"Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals."
-Paul Newman as Butch Cassidy in The Sundance Kid

So when did you last say no when what you really wanted to say was "What the hell.  Why not?"