Monday, February 6, 2017

Never Say Never

Last night proved you should never say never. While I was rooting for the other team, I have to hand it to the Patriots for such an impressive comeback.

In business motivational speeches, we are taught that at 211 degrees, water is hot. With one extra degree, it boils. Steam comes from boiling water, and powers trains. What a difference for just one more degree of effort!

How many times have you given up at the 211 degree mark? I ask myself, when have I?

I had a book published in 2012. Since then I've written three more books. I have attempted to publish none. I can go into a million excuses as to why, but the bottom line is I don't know if I want to publish another novel. I write because it is my passion and re-energizes me. It feeds my soul. Publishing is work, and I already have jobs as a wife, mother and HR professional.

HR pays the bills and provides healthcare. Most days I enjoy the work, and I'm good at it. And I only have my kids for a little while longer. I want to be fully present in their lives until they leave the nest, so I don't know if I want another job right now. I have to decide.

So the key question is how bad do you want to fulfill your dream? Be published? Get that big promotion? Win the trophy? It all comes down to how much you want it. And if you want it that bad, never say never. Give it all you've got.

But you've got to decide. The Patriots did.